The Download view allows you to download a GEDCOM file into FamViewer
sites on the internet. You may also be able to download a
GEDCOM file from your desktop computer if it has a web server
installed and you have a local wireless network.
FamViewer will remember the files you've downloaded and display
them in a list. To download a file again that's shown in the
list, tap the file in the list. This will display the file
in the URL text box. Tap Get File. You may delete entries from the list
by tapping the Edit Button.
- To download a file tap the URL text box at the top of the
Download view and enter the
URL of your GEDCOM file. Example:
- You may use the tilde '~' button or .ged button to add text
It's not necessary to type the leading http://.
- Tap Done.
- Tap Get File, and FamViewer will download the file
and import it.
On Macintosh you can use Web Sharing to allow
FamViewer to download a file from your Macintosh if you have a local
For Windows or Linux, if you have a web server installed place the
GEDCOM file into the folder that the server is serving. Enter
the URL of this file in the URL text box and tap Get File.
- Open System Preferences and choose Sharing.
- Click on Web Sharing to enable this feature.
- Take note of the URL for your personal website.
- To make a GEDCOM file available from Web Sharing place a
copy of it in the Sites folder in your home directory on your
- Enter the URL of the GEDCOM file in the URL text box in the
Download view. Example: 192.168.1.101/~myusername/my.ged
- Tap Get File.
- You may turn Web Sharing off once you've downloaded your
GEDCOM file or leave it on.